Plan of Areatza: Most interesanting places of Areatza

  • Click on the plan to enlarge it

Places of interest

Santa Isabel convent

Santa Isabel convent This convent belongs to the Franciscan – Poor Clare order of nuns. It was founded in 1620 and later became an enclosed community. The church was inaugurated in 1671 and the whole was completely rebuilt using ashlar stone and masonry at the end of the 19th century. There is a magnificent organ that dates back to 1626.

Town-hall
Town-hall

A neo-classical style building erected in the 19th century, oblong in shape, with an extensive facade looking onto the square. The ground floor has an arched front, with eleven semi-circular arches.





Gortazar palace

Gortazar palace

This is the most noble and aristocratic building in the town. The ground floor, with worked ashlar stone, dates from the end of the 16th century, whereas the upper floors, made of brick, are from the early 17th century. The heraldic paintings that decorate the facade were allegedly made about 1735.

Aska fountain
Aska fountain

A fountain built in 1851, surrounded by an "aska", a drinking trough for cattle. Its silhouette is inseparable from the image of the town. The fountain is by Martin de Saracibar.


San Bartolome church

Overwiew

Overview:

A church with one single nave and a markedly rectangular transept and two chapels of a lower height. The tower, which has an irregular shape, was completed in 1722 and later reformed. The doorway is of great interest.

Lateral door

Lateral door:

The keystone that braces the arch of the Gothic style side door is said to be the oldest part of the church. The inscription with the year, dating from 1344, seems to say "Arciprestazgo E(ra) Mil CCCXXXXIIII Años Fecit EP (eclesia parroquial) Alfo (Alfonso) Frz (Fernandez) Basquiez".


Mudejar style house

Mudejar style house
This Mudejar style house is located in Piedad street and was built in the early 16th century. The Arabic style decoration on its facade shows us that the decorative traditions predominant in other places were also known in Bizkaia

Santo Tomas chapel

Santo Tomas chapel
Built in 1787. A religious service is held here on 21 December each year.

La Piedad chapel

Overview
Outside view:

Located in the street of the same name, opposite the Residencia Bolibar, on the way to the Karpo walk.

Plate:

Plate

There is a plate in the chapel that says:"Los YII. S. D. Juaquin Moron Obispo de Valladolid, D. Francisco Mateo Aguiriano Gomez, D. Ignacio Rives Mayor y D. Pablo Avella Obispos de Calahorra, conceden 40 días de Yndulgencias a los que Rezaren una Salve delante de esta Santa Ymagen de la Piedad. Del mismo modelo conceden 40 días de Indulgencias por Rezar un Credo al Santísimo Cristo que Yace en su regado: Rogando a Dios por las felicidades de la Santa Yglesia".

Other places to see:

House number 7 of the bekokale street

House number 7 of the bekokale street

House with the structure of the medieval constructions. Located in number 7 of the Bekokale street.

Smithy

Smithy

Not long ago time this smithy was used to shoe the animals that were used in the works of the small village. Today it has been recovered completely and we can remember the offices of our ancestors.


24 of Goikokale street

24 of Goikokale street Batzoki's building

Batzoki's building

Spectacular building in the street askatasun (old dirt road). Today it lodges in low the Batzoki de Areatza.



Zubizarra

Appearance of the buildings in front of Zubizarra bridge. Bottom of Bekokale street.

Isbelia house
  • Arratia Tourism
  • Bizkaia Natural
  • Tourism Bizkaia
  • Tourism Euskadi
  • Euskalmet